Monday, February 25, 2019

A New Beginning


We don't so much have the new haircuts and schoolclothes and lunchboxes and backpacks; nevertheless, there is a freshness and new feel to the air.  This is our last official summer day.  Tomorrow begins some firsts and some lasts.  First, we have 3 homeschoolers this year.  Justus, Lib, and Josiah will be doing 6th, 4th, and 3rd at home with Mrs. Mom.  The Big Four and Miss Moriah will be at Rockbridge:  again, for the Four, and something new for First Grade Mo.  Second, Soren and Jay will be tearing up the carpets at home, along with our loaner "Jackson," Malachi Scroggins.  Mal is a few months younger than Jay and we will be watching him over the schoolyear.  His dad is a teacher at school and his mom works at NASA.

Not to be overlooked, the other "new" is John.  Now Lt Col, retired, he works at his desk in our bedroom-by-night-office-by-day.  Though not technically "new" as we go into the third month of his employment by Clarity Solutions, it is yet not old.

There are some regrets over a summer not quite the vacation one would like it to be.  Despite that, I think we all feel ready to jump into the busy routine of school days.  Maps are on walls, all supplies are in order, and everyone has appropriately sized uniforms.  Bread is in the oven for lunchtime sandwiches this week, banana bread for first day snack is cooling on a wire rack.

I am blogging...

Let me just remind myself why.  Because I process externally.  Whether by writing or talking (to myself, often), I sort out what is going on inside my brain.  My very tolerant and accepting siblings used to call it brain vomit -- the stuff that just poured out of my mouth apparently without much thought and certainly without any order or logic.

Because we all know this blog is really about me.  My kids, my life, my work, my thoughts, my record of what is important.  Let's be honest here, there is no impartiality.  Ever.  So it shall remain open and fully revealed.  The title might as well have my name is bold and glittery print.  You just can't get around the loud ME sitting in the middle of the room.

I am creating here a refuge of sorts.  Very little in this house is private.  Even my bedroom is shared.  I have no personal space.  It's a Mom thing and I accept that.  So I sneak in privacy where I can get it.  And it still feels private when only I have the say in with whom I share.

No comments:

Post a Comment